On Mar 23, 2007, at 3:29 AM, ant elder wrote:

On 3/22/07, Jeremy Boynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip/>

I don't think the SPI is quite as stable as Dave would like but we
should be able to improve things after alpha2. I think we should
target an SPI freeze for the beta (June you were suggesting), at
least for incompatible changes. To do that we need to have built a
couple of bindings/containers on top of it.

I definitely agree we need to get the SPI more stable and that having more containers and bindings using it will help a lot. I'd like help with this and to add the Axis2 binding and jsr-223 script container to the list of extensions already mentioned for this release, i've already started work
fixing these for the latest trunk code.

I'd also like to add the modularity stuff been discussed on other threads to the content of this release. With the current state of the trunk and spi and
all the extensions needing work to get going again this seems like the
perfect time to get the trunk code to a state that everyone is happy using.

  ...ant
IMO having scripting support is an important thing. At the ServerSide, one of the things that people liked was the idea of multiple language support and having Groovy and Javascript is a nice differentiator. One distinction I would make though is what we are talking about is a kernel release while extensions would be released separately. As part of the extension releases, if people wanted, there could be distributions that package required extensions for various "scripting" runtimes. The kernel release would be highly modular and its distributions would include the extensions required for particular host environments.

Jim