I wasn't clear enough when starting this vote, let me try to fix that:

I intended this vote to *be* the short term reality, I.e. about getting a
release out from trunk with everyone contributing.

It may well be right that a single module version doesn't scale, in the
longer term maybe we need to adopt one the many proposals that has been made
on this subject. We can revisit all this once we've managed to get the next
release out.

The specifics of what extensions are included in this release is left out of
this vote and can be decided in the release plan discussion. All this vote
is saying is that all the modules that are to be included in this next
release will have the same version and that a top level pom.xml will exist
to enable building all those modules at once. We don't have so many
extensions planed for the next release so i think this will scale ok for
now.

Does that help at all? Would anyone more vote for this now?

If there isn't a reasonably large majority one way or the other I'm fine
with forgetting this vote and going back to the drawing board for a
different approach. I'd really prefer not to have to do that though as we
need to start finding some ways to make progress, so lets keep this going
till tomorrow to see how the votes look then.

  ...ant