Simon Laws wrote:
On 4/12/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Simon Laws wrote:
> [...]
> component in question and then goes to the component implementation to
> get
> the reference definition so it can subsequently create a wire. Here is
> the
> top of the loop from DeployerImpl.connect() (I added some comments
> here to
> highlight the points of interest)
>
>        // for each  the references specified in the SCDL for the
> component
>        for (ComponentReference ref : definition.getReferences()) {
>            List<Wire> wires = new ArrayList<Wire>();
>            String refName = ref.getName();
>            // get the definition of the reference which is described
> by the
> component implementation
>            org.apache.tuscany.assembly.Reference refDefinition =
> getReference(definition.getImplementation(), refName);
>            assert refDefinition != null;
>
> So when it comes to "SourceComponent" [1] it finds that the component is > implemented by another composite. When this information is read into the
> model by the CompositeProcessor there is code that specifically reads
the
> implementation.composite element, i.e.
>
>                        } else if
> (IMPLEMENTATION_COMPOSITE_QNAME.equals(name)) {
>
>                            // Read an implementation.composite
>                            Composite implementation =
> factory.createComposite();
>                            implementation.setName(getQName(reader,
> NAME));
>                            implementation.setUnresolved(true);
> component.setImplementation(implementation);
>
> Now all this does as far as I can see is create a composite type with
> just
> the composite name in it (I assume that the intention is to resolve this
> later on). Hence the connect step fails because the component
> implementation
> in our example has nothing in it. Specifically it has none of the
> reference
> definition information that it would have to look in the other composite
> file to get.
>
> The problem is I'm not sure when this information is intended to be
> linked
> up. During the resolve phase when this component implementation is
> reached
> the resolver just finds a composite with nothing in it and, as far as
> I can
> tell, just ignores it. How does the system know that this implementation
> refers to a composite defined elsewhere rather than just defining a
> composite with nothing in it?
>
> I would assume at the resolve or optimize stages this should happen so
> that
> we have a complete model when it comes time to build the runtime.
> Maybe we
> need a new type or flag to indicate that this is a composite
> implementing a
> component.  I'll keep plugging away but if someone could give me a

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/samples/composite-impl/src/main/resources/OuterComposite.composite

Simon,

This code:
                           // Read an implementation.composite
                           Composite implementation =
factory.createComposite();
implementation.setName(getQName(reader, NAME));
                           implementation.setUnresolved(true);
                           component.setImplementation(implementation);
creates a reference to the named composite marked Unresolved.

Later in the CompositeProcessor.resolve method, we resolve the
Implementations of all the Components in the Composite, including
references to other Composites, as follows:
       // Resolve component implementations, services and references
        for (Component component: composite.getComponents()) {
            constrainingType = component.getConstrainingType();
            constrainingType = resolver.resolve(ConstrainingType.class,
constrainingType);
            component.setConstrainingType(constrainingType);

Implementation implementation = component.getImplementation();
            implementation = resolveImplementation(implementation,
resolver);
            component.setImplementation(implementation);

            resolveContracts(component.getServices(), resolver);
            resolveContracts(component.getReferences(), resolver);
        }

Hope this helps.

Thanks Sebastien, That's really helpful. Thanks also for making some fixes
to the SCDL. I'm made some more changes to make the reference names match
and I'm now able to get past the problem point in my mail above. Not quite
there yet but getting further. A question though.

It's still reporting problems with the references in the component
implementation composite files. This time it is complaining that the
references don't have enough targets. This is true in their standalone state when they are processed as part of the contribution these composites don't
have targets on ther references. This only happens in the top level
composite that uses them.

Is this expected behaviour?

Regards

Simon

Interesting :) I think that we currently report a problem when a reference with multiplicity 1..x has no target. In your case, if the reference is promoted, then we shouldn't report a problem right away when we analyze the composite, as we basically defer any wiring to the outer level, i.e. an outer composite containing a component implemented by this composite. So I think we can relax the check in CompositeUtil. A promoted reference with multiplicity 1.x and no targets is OK and shouldn't be reported as a problem. Its targets will be checked when we get to the outer composite.

Makes sense?