From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of kelvin goodson
Sent: 16 April 2007 14:42
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Cc: Robbie Minshall
Subject: [Java SDO CTS] Junit 4.1 pattern for calling setUp when classes
don't inherit from TestCase

Hi,
I'm looking at doing some work in the CTS. I was looking back at
Robbie's attached description about how to keep the tests "harness
agnostic".  I'm assuming that this is still a goal of the CTS although I
may have missed something in my catching up. In my quest to make the CTS
better I note that a number of the test case classes still extend the
junit TestCase class.
This is true for all test classes that have a setUp() method. One that
doesn't inherit from TestCase is XSDSerializationTest,  and adding a
setUp method to this class doesn't cause junit to invoke it in my
eclipse environment. I'm trying to work out whether I should I expect a
4.1environment to discover and execute the setUp method when junit is
used in this way. I seem to have Eclipse junit plugins for 3.8.1 and
4.1.0.1 and the preferences tab for Junit doesn't seem to offer much in
the way of configuration, so I can't be sure I'm using 4.1 behaviour.

I really would like to be XSDSerializationTests to execute setUp so that
we can have a fresh HelperContext per test,  and I guess the easy way
out is to make the test class inherit from TestCase like the others,
but I'd prefer not to introduce the explicit dependency on Junit if I
can avoid it.

Regards Kelvin.

On 07/12/06, Robbie Minshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This sounds quite good.
>
> I have written some test cases with Brian Murray which I would be
> happy to contribute to tuscany.  Identifying duplication and
> differences in similar tests would probably be an intersting excercise
right off the bat.

> One decision that we spent a little time mulling over was the
> framework to use for our test suite.  Originally we used the much
> loved junit harness which worked well.  Different runtimes ( command
> line, J2EE Application Server, a Service Container ) have different
classloader hierarchies etc.
> Without many modifications to the junit code it was difficult and
> quite ugly testing SDO within the context of a variety of runtimes
> which the SDO APIs will be used.
>
> We took the approach of writing general test libraries which can then
> simply be called from a variety of test frameworks such as junit or a
> simple J2EE or SCA Application test harness.  I like this approach for

> keeping the actual test code very simple, allowing for integration a
> variety of test frameworks, and providing ability to test directly
> within the different runtimes people care about.
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Robbie
>

> On 12/1/06, kelvin goodson <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> >
> > Andy,
> >   please attach them to the JIRA for this work and one of us can
> > pick them up, thanks.
> > Best Regards, Kelvin.
> >
> > On 01/12/06, Andy Grove (Contractor) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Dan,
> > >
> > > I was previously working with Kelvin Goodson to donate some junit
> > tests
> > > on behalf of Rogue Wave Software.
> > >
> > > These tests are written purely to the SDO API and I have validated
> > that
> > > the tests do run against Tuscany as well as Rogue Wave's
> > implementation.
> > >

> > > Should I send the tests to Kelvin?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Andy.

specification.
> > > Should
> > > the specification appear ambiguous or unclear then the community
> > > will decide what to do; it may decide to test the area with an
> > > agreed expected behaviour, or decide not to test this area.
> > > Ambiguities will be fed
> > back
> > > the specification group for clarification. Although we will run
> > > this against Tuscany, the test suite will only test things that we

> > > think any implementation should support.
> > >
> > > The SDO CTS will enable developers to choose or switch SDO
> > > implementations without the concern of having to re-code a
> > > significant proportion of their application due to differences
> > > between implementations. This community test suite will first
> > > focus on areas identified important to developers of
> >
> > > SDO
> > > applications. SDO users feedback and involvement will be crucial
> > the
> > > success of this effort. Over time this may grow to include a large

> > > proportion of the SDO specification, however the suite should grow

> > > according to the community's desire, rather than attempting to be
> > > a validation
> > or
> > > compliancy suite.
> > >
> > > To encourage everyone with an interest in SDO to contribute and
> > > use
> > the
> > > suite, I propose we :
> > >
> > >    1. Create a separate module in SVN to separate this from
Tuscany