I think my proposal is consistent with your desire to get the overview.
When entering the new release phase,  all JIRAs fixed in the period since
the last release would be reclassified to the newly created version tag,
along with all JIRAs that the community sees as important for the
forthcoming release.

However, an alternative rule of thumb would be that its always safe to use
the *Next version as the fix version, whether raising or resolving a JIRA.
Only use a specific version if you really are sure that either the
resolution of the defect is a blocker for a release or that the fix you have
committed will definitely make it into a release.  I just liked the
simplicity of my original proposal.

Kelvin