In multiple instances I've run into an annoying limitation of our embedded Tomcat and Jetty support... We cannot serve Web content, HTML pages, scripts etc. when we run Tomcat or Jetty embedded in a J2SE program. This makes it more difficult than it should be to test SCA applications that use our JSON-RPC binding in particular, as you need to package these applications in WARs, deploy them to a standalone Tomcat or Jetty, use remote debugging to step through them etc... as opposed to simply running them from a J2SE program's main()...

I'd like to leverage a small variation of our Crud/resource implementation type sample to fix that, and simply use a component to serve web content out of a directory inside an application.

Here's how the helloworld-jsonrpc sample composite will look with that component implementation (see the BEGIN/END new-stuff section):

<composite xmlns="http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0";
     targetNamespace="http://sample";
     xmlns:sample="http://sample";
          name="helloworldjsonrpc">
<component name="HelloWorldJSONServiceComponent">
       <service name="HelloWorldService">
<interface.java interface="helloworldjsonrpc.HelloWorldService"/>
            <binding.jsonrpc/>
</service> <implementation.java class="helloworldjsonrpc.HelloWorldServiceImpl"/>
   </component>

   <!-- BEGIN new stuff -->

   <component name="MyHelloWorldContent">
<implementation.webResource location="location of the HTML and JS files inside the contribution"/>
   </component>

   <!-- END new stuff -->

</composite>

With that simple change, we will be able to run directly from J2SE and serve Web content out of the configured directory... so we won't have to always package the whole app in a WAR and deploy it to a standalone Web container.

Thoughts?

If there's no objection, I'd like to start adding that support later this week.