Hi,

I am keen on adding further to the Policy support thats in Tuscany today. I
recently run thro the Policy Framework specs and was looking into Tuscany on
how far we had gone on this.  Here's my understanding of all that.  I
request people's perspective on my understanding before I go ahead and
implement things.

1.  Policy intents and PolicySets are things that can be defined at the
domain level.  I propose we have Policy Registry or Repository that hosts
the set of all intents and policy sets that pertain to a domain.

2. There can be a PolicyRegistryService that can provide interfaces to add,
retrieve and remove intents and policies to the Policy Registry /
Repository.

3. The set of intents and policy sets for a domain could be defined in the
definitions.xml file which could be picked up by the ContributionsProcessor
(see line 2490 of Assembly Model Spec).  Infact there is more - such as the
intents that are supported by binding and implementation types in the domain
and so on.  We could have a processor for the sca definitions that will read
among other artifacts the policy intents and policy sets and add them to the
registry.  The model objects to represent policy intents and policy sets and
the factory to create them are already in place under the policy module.

4. SCA artifacts will have intents and policy sets attached to them.
Presently the artifact processors create the Intents and PolicySet objects.
I propose that the artifact processor that read these SCA Artifacts will
just about read the QNames and resolve them in the resolution phase with the
help of the PolicyRegistryService.  This way we can also check if the intent
or policy set specified for an artifact is really applicable to the artifact
or not.

that is allowed on the policy language that could be used.  But I guess
WS-Policy will need to be supported for by Tuscany as that is view to be a
common thing that could be used

So thats a summary the loading part.

In the building phase there are algorithms that the Policy Framework Specs
has specified to validate the wiring between components in the context of
policies (including each end of the wire could inherit from ancestor
artifacts and what is the binding or implementation type being used and what
that supports inherently).

Finally during runtime we have to make sure that the policy statements are
handed out to the appropriate QoS infrastructures i.e Security or
Transaction support modules so that they may be enforced.  I am a bit
unclear on the options related to this at the present moment.

Before I get to a discussion on the wiring and runtime aspects related to
policy I wish to know if my thoughts are in the right direction this far.

Thanks

- Venkat