Following on from recent discussion on the distributed binding (I've been
putting notes here [1])... In a Tuscany SCA runtime what do we expect the
cardinality between the various parts of it to be?

A domain notionally runs on a runtime. In the case of a stand-alone Tuscany
SCA runtime this will be a single process (C++ exe, Java VM etc.). In the
case of a distributed Tuscany SCA runtime, the runtime is made up of many
distributed nodes that each run parts of the domain.

1/ Can domains share runtimes/nodes?

I.e can components from more than one domain be running inside a single
Tuscany SCA runtime or is the user expected to start up multiple runtimes to
run multiple domains.

2/ How many nodes can a single component run on?.

I.e. is the assignment of a component to multiple nodes, for performance,
reliability etc. reasons, explicitly supported as part of the topology
description of a distributed domain. If so then the  SCA binding chooses
which node to use. If not then any distribution of workload is considered to
be a job for the node implementation.

I'd be interested to hear peoples views on this

My starting point is...

1/ No, we will support multiple domains by starting multiple runtimes. We
could add the extra function to support sharing of runtimes between domains
in the future if it's found to be required.

2/ We shouldn't restrict whatever structure we use to describe the
component/node association to be 1-1. But we can assume 1 in the first
instance and consider adding more complex node selection features to the SCA
binding in the future.

Regards

Simon

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/editpage.action?pageId=59826