[snip]
Luciano Resende wrote:
I like the idea of a .composite file validator, would that be an
eclipse plugin ? Also, I might start a new thread on this, but how do
we handle extension implementation validations (e.g
implementation.data defining some other elements for the composite
file ? )

I like it too. A good validation tool is key to a good application development experience. I would suggest a layered, and staged, approach:

1. Validator classes that only depend on the model classes, easy for people to embed in their environment

For the command line + notepad / vi / emacs... app developers:
2. a layer integrating the Validator with the Tuscany core and its reporting capabilities 3. a layer providing integration with Ant and/or Maven, or just a command line validation tool

For the Eclipse app developers:
4. a plugin providing basic validation capability, maybe also leveraging the EMF validation framework
5. plugins for the validation of individual SCA extensions
6. maybe a plugin to integrate with the WTP validation framework?
7. UI integration, integration with XML source and Eclipse visual diagram editor frameworks

So there's a long way to go before we can see a red X on the right SCA component in an SCA assembly diagram tool when there's an error and proposals for fixes in a tooltip... I'd suggest to start with step 1. :)

To handle validation of SCA assembly extensions, we'll need an extensible Validator :)

How about defining a peer interface to ArfifactProcessor, ArtifactValidator, with a validate method, and follow a pattern similar to our ArtifactProcessorExtensionPoint with an ArtifactValidatorExtensionPoint?