Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:

Nobody picked up my earlier post to this thread, I thought that my concrete examples were interesting though :) so I'll repeat a concrete example again here:

<implementation.java class="calculator.CalculatorImpl">

componentType file: calculator/CalculatorImpl.componentType

- The relationship is obvious to a human
- There is no SCDL attribute pointing to the componentType
- The relationship class name -> .componentType file location is specific to the Java implementation type.

IMHO you need implementation specific code to derive the .componentType file location from the attributes of the <implementation>.

I think that I'm agreeing with you very strongly - I just said it a different way.

The C++ example I gave was a more stark example of the problem of why there is no direct relationship between component and componentType file independent from the implementation type itself.

You are right - the SCDL does not point to the componentType file. If we had called componentType files "implementationInfo" files instead, this would perhaps have made the situation clearer - that componentType side files are there to provide extra information about an implementation for those situations where you can't get the information directly from the implementation (ie via introspection).

Yours,  Mike.