Mike

Thoughts inline:

It certainly looks like a reasonable mapping.
Good

SCA makes no assumption about the runtime at all - and the spec teams
have always viewed the SCA model as being mappable to a whole range of
runtimes, so this way of thinking about things is fine.  Indeed, some of
the work in the Eclipse tools project is done this way, where an SCA
model is used to describe the solution in the tools and is then mapped
to the configuration file format of a particular runtime.  The runtime
never sees the SCA metadata directly.

Your idea is to do this mapping at runtime - I happen to prefer that way
of doing things.

Well it would be done at runtime, but not at message passing time.

One BIG question to ask is whether you want to support implementation
artifacts with SCA annotations.  SCA supports, for example, Java classes
with annotations which configure them with a range of features - this is
an alternative to providing the information in the SCA XML format.
Doing this requires appropriate introspector code in the runtime.  This
can certainly come from Tuscany.

I hadn't really considered that. Synapse isn't really about deploying
Java components.... so I'm not sure if this would be appropriate.

This direct mapping of SCA metadata into runtime entities is behind my
contention that SCA does not add any layering.  SCA is not about
indirection, rather it is about having a consistent way of describing
SOA configuration, which is mapped to the specifics of given component
and runtime technologies.

Well I'll wait and see how it looks when we get it running! But
getting this working would be a long way to proving to me that you are
right.

As for holding multiple inconsistent viewpoints at once - politicians
seem to manage that as a way of life  ;-)

We'll I guess I asked for that, but really - a little below the belt
comparing me with a politician.

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair