Thanks for the workaround tip.  I'm on maven 2.0.4 as well.  Perhaps
this is the vital clue as to why some setups fail and others don't.
Did you try upgrading from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 on the machine that failing?

  Simon

ant elder wrote:

For those struggling to build due to this problem you can use the mvn
parameter -Dmaven.test.skip=true so the tests don't get run and the jar
still gets built and added to your local repos.

   ...ant