Simon Laws wrote:
On 8/31/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Simon Laws wrote:
What would be put in specific logging properties?

The usual logging configuration, what we want our default logging level
be on a module by module bases, what handlers to use, configuration of
the
handlers e.g. if it's a file handler where to put the file and what to
call
it. etc.

I'm using the IBM JDK and that doesn't seem to come with a default
logging.properties file. We could go with hardcoded defaults but as soon
as
you want to change something it's problematic. We could ask people to
drop
one into jdk/lib but that would be active for any other java apps they
use.
Do you know an easy way round this?

I don't know an easy way around this, but I'm still a little confused.
If we define a tuscany-logging properties file then what's going to
happen when we do:
LogManager.getLogManager().readConfiguration(<stream for
tuscany-logging.properties>);
Isn't that going to reset the logging configuration for the whole
LogManager, altering the log configuration for other projects that use
the JDK logger as well?

Yes , say if we embed tuscany in some other project and we were to read
the logging.properties file as above we would mess up the settings of the
embedding application. Thats why we have to be able to remove any
configuration we provide, for example, for our samples.

Simon

How about not messing up the settings - i.e. not impose or provide a configuration properties file - and let the user configure the JDK logger the way he wants?

Sometimes not providing anything is better than providing something that's going to get in the way, even if we document how to remove the obstacle we have created :)