To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: Wrapper style test in WSDL processing?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/modules/interface-wsdl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/interfacedef/wsdl/impl/WSDLOperationIntrospectorImpl.java
> > )
> >
> > The code is currently
> >
> >    public boolean isWrapperStyle() throws InvalidWSDLException {
> >        if (wrapperStyle == null) {
> >            wrapperStyle =
> >                wrapper.getInputChildElements() != null && (
> > operation.getOutput() == null || wrapper
> >                    .getOutputChildElements() != null);
> >        }
> >        return wrapperStyle;
> >    }
> >
> > Which doesn't seem to cater for the case where there may be no input
> > parameters. I'm diving into this code now to see if I can work out
> what it
> > means but if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.
> >
> > Needless to say I have a scenario where I am trying to auto generate
> WSDL
> > for a method with the signature
> >
> > String myMethod()
> >
> > And it's complaining that it's not wrapped.
> >
> > Simon

> What you are saying sounds right to me, I.e. you can validly have no
parameters in your method but in this case it should build an empty sequence

<element name="myMethod">
    <complexType>
        <sequence/> <!-- an empty sequence -->
    </complexType>
</element>

And have this as the single input type. I'm deeper into the code now
looking for why this isn't the case.

Thanks Raymond

Simon

I've done a bit more investigation now. For the signature

String foo()

Axis2 Java2WSDL generates

   <wsdl:types>
       <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
           attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified"
           targetNamespace="http://test/xsd";>
           <xs:element name="fooResponse">
               <xs:complexType>
                   <xs:sequence>
                       <xs:element name="return" nillable="true"
                           type="xs:string" />
                   </xs:sequence>
               </xs:complexType>
           </xs:element>
       </xs:schema>
   </wsdl:types>
   <wsdl:message name="fooMessage" />
   <wsdl:message name="fooResponseMessage">
       <wsdl:part name="part1" element="ns:fooResponse" />
   </wsdl:message>

So in our code when it comes to testing for wrapped it returns false because this doesn't match the algorithm that was presented earlier in this thread,
i.e. there is no part of the input message corresponding to the message
name. So when you try this in Tuscany is throws an exception saying that the
operation is not wrapped.

It would be inconvenient for us to not support operations with no
parameters. As the wsdl generation process assumes that the target
operations will be generated as wrapped operations here's what I did..

1/ Changed the isWrapperStyle  test (in WSDLOperationIntrospectorImpl) to
read.

   public boolean isWrapperStyle() throws InvalidWSDLException {
       if (wrapperStyle == null) {
           wrapperStyle =

(operation.getInput().getMessage().getParts().values().size()
== 0 ||wrapper.getInputChildElements() != null) &&
               (operation.getOutput() == null ||
wrapper.getOutputChildElements() != null);
       }
       return wrapperStyle;
   }

I.e. I'm letting it pass if there are no input parts at all which I believe
is valid according the the JAX-WS 2.0 spec

2/ Fixed the getWrapperInfo method to take account of the case where there
are no input params

               if (in != null) {
                   for (XmlSchemaElement e : getInputChildElements()) {
                       inChildren.add(getElementInfo(e));
                   }
               }

3/ Fixed the Axis2 binding to properly deal with the case when no parameters
are present in Axis2ServiceInOutSyncMessageReceiver.

   public void invokeBusinessLogic(MessageContext inMC, MessageContext
outMC) throws AxisFault {
       try {
           OMElement requestOM = inMC.getEnvelope
().getBody().getFirstElement();
           Object[] args = null;

           if (requestOM != null) {
               args = new Object[] {requestOM};
           }

The Axis2ServiceInMessageReceiver needs the same fix if we go with this.

This works with the forward message relying on the soap action to indentify
the correct operation.

I haven't checked this in as the code seems to have been carefully crafted
to assume that there will always be an input parameter. Can someone explain
why this is thought to be the case?

Regards