Apologies for opening TUSCANY-1678 without noticing the earlier JIRA or this
discussion.

On 9/7/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I didn't quite get Raymond's comment that we'll have to pass a flag in a
> message header. Don't we know what to do w.r.t pass by value just by
> looking at the source and target interfaces? Can't we just decide to
> either insert the interceptor in the invocation chain or not  when the
> invocation chain is built?

One problem with deciding when the invocation chain is built is supporting
the case where a service-side binding
impl accepts requests from either local or remote-JVM clients (the 2nd case
in TUSCANY-1678).   The local client may
require a copy while not the remote one.

Also are we sure the presence of a DataTransformationInteceptor on the chain
means a copy has been done?    Is that
part of the SPI contract?    Say you had a databinding which transformed
Java complex types from one system to another but
did nothing with a simple java.lang.Integer.   Is it established that the
databinding impl should do a copy in that case?

Those reasons are why I was thinking too that we might want to use a
flag....

Scott