I'm probably not going to provide enough information to get much of an
answer but I'll ask now anyway in case anyone has an obvious answer right
away...

Is there a simple way for a binding to say what data binding it wants used?

I know there's Interface.resetDataBinding but to use that you need the same
Interface object that is used by the  DataBindingRuntimeWireProcessor when
working out if a transformation is required and that doesn't seem to be the
one thats use by the RuntimeComponentReference/Service which is passed in to
a Service or Reference BindingProvider. Even in a simple testcase with a
component using a reference there seems to be about 6 instances of
JavaInterface instantiated for the interface class used by the reference so
making sure resetDataBinding is called on the correct one doesn't seem
straight forward.