To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 12:19 PM
Subject: App development and Tuscany JAR dependencies, was: SCA runtimes

[snip]

OK, I'm going to try to address the first item:

Does the app developer need to know what Tuscany and dependency JARs are
required to compile the artifacts in his SCA contributions?

Here are some thoughts:

- the app developer develops an SCA contribution

- he needs to know which JARs provide the SCA spec and Tuscany APIs that
he's using in his application artifacts (for example Java clients
and component implementations).

- the API JARs should not drag dependencies on Tuscany internal JARs

- the API JARs potentially depend on other JARs (JAX-* for example)

I think we should make it easier for the application developer to find which of these JARs he needs and express compile dependencies on them (and their transitive dependencies).

As a starting point, I'd suggest to separate the API JARs from the others in the distribution structure. Then review our samples and investigate what an app developer needs to write to express the dependencies (using Maven, Ant, or his favorite IDE).

Thoughts?