More comments inline :)

Raymond Feng wrote:
I'm a bit confused by that your statement in :

6. Mark http://store#store as deployed. Store has a reference to a
CurrencyConverter service (from composite http://cloud#cloud which is
not in my domain yet) so it shows a red-x and appears disabled.

In this case, the target service is not in my domain yet, but it shouldn't prevent http://store#store from being assigned to a node to start the composite.

My view is that this case should prevent assigning http://store#store to a machine, in the next few months at least.

Having a reference is the expression of a requirement (i.e. I need the function behind the reference to be available to perform my job). Assigning a component with a dangling reference to a processor and starting it is just violating that requirement, like trying to run a Java class with compile errors.

I'm not saying that we'll never have to look into that kind of dream dynamic scenario, but I'd like to start with reality before attacking that dream.

The relationship between the reference and service
is loosely-coupled, right?

Can you help me understand your definition of loosely coupled?

It could be a warning though.

I assume when we select a deployable composite from a contribution, we just have to create a collection of contributions required to deploy the composite. Let's say let have two deployable composites http//store#store and http://cloud#cloud. It could end up with two downloadable zips: store.jar & assets.jar for store composite and cloud.jar & asset.jar for cloud composite. One zip can be downloaded to machine 1 and the other goes to machine 2.

Yes. We could also put some of the pieces of runtime required to run the composite in that zip.

There is no need to check if
a reference in store composite can be fulfilled by a service in cloud composite.

If somebody has declared a reference, that was for a reason: express the requirement to have a service wired to that reference so I'd prefer to check for now.

Also until the reference is satisfied you may not know which binding to use, thereby preventing you to select the correct machine equipped with the necessary software to support that binding.

Or the GUI could select the required
contributions/composites as we mark one deployable composite.

We could do that, except that the required composites might not be available in the domain yet.

I should say required contrbutions.

Yes, when you select a composite, the UI could highlight the contributions required by the contribution containing that composite.

[snip]
9. Select http://cloud#cloud and associate it with machine2. Cloud.jar and assets.jar are downloaded to machine2 and machine2 is configured with http://cloud#cloud.

Who initiates the download? Is it a pull or push model?

I was thinking about push: the domain triggers the download.

To avoid over-engineering this too quickly, how about starting simple and just generating a zip of the artifacts and let the administrator FTP and unzip it on the target machine?

In other words I think we need to be comfortable with executing the install / resolve / deploy / configure / distribute steps manually before trying to automate them.

It's import to keep all these steps separate and manually operatable.

Exactly.

For example, we could expose management services over JMX, and the control be invoked from any JMX-enabled consolse/command line.

Not sure about JMX yet, I'd like to understand what the individual steps are before picking a specific technology to implement them.