I have been using WAS installed with the "Application Server" option.
It needs a fix for a bug with Servlet Filters, that is available with
FixPack 9 (or later I guess), and this fix need to be  activated in
the WAS admin console, navigate to Application Servers - server1 - Web
Container - Customer Properties and configure a
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.invokefilterscompatibility property to true.
Then, every time you deploy an Tuscany application, you should set the
proper class path options :  ¨Classes loaded with application class
loader first"  and "Single class loader per application". See also
Sebastien's post [1] with much more details on this subject.

Please let me know if this helps.

[1] http://jsdelfino.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-use-apache-tuscany-with.html

--
Luciano Resende