On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:04 AM, haleh mahbod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested to work on some JIRAs for the next SCA release. As I
> searched the JIRAs, I realized that it is not easy to identify where help
> is
> needed! I am sharing this information with you because
> others like me might be running into the same issue. For example, some
> JIRAs
> are very old. Does it make sense to work on those? Some JIRAs contain
> exchanges of information between 2 or more
> people and are not assigned to anyone,  does that mean they are open for
> grab?
>

> I noticed the following cases where JIRA status can easily be updated to
> get
> SCA JIRAs into a state that truly reflects the work that needs to be done.
>
> I sign up for going through the JIRAs and help clean up the easy ones if
> there is agreement on the approach.

Great, thanks for  helping!

> - Some of the JIRAs are really old and are not relevant any longer. *Can
> JIRAs that have been created prior to .90 be closed as not relevant since
> architecture changed?*

I think thats likely often the case but its not guaranteed 100% of the time
so we'd have to apply some discretion, for example,
TUSCANY-83<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-83>is really
old but i'd still like to get it fixed.

- Some of the JIRAs have been created during evaluation of prior releases
> (RCs). They contain comments such as 'did not make it' to the release.
>  *Can
> these be targeted for next release so that they get evaluated?*

If you mean putting them in Java-SCA-Next thats fine, but i don't think
assigning them to a specific release like Java-SCA-1.2 is always the correct
thing to do. The way i treat the JIRA release for the upcoming release (like
Java-SCA-1.2) is to only put JIRAs in there that I'm actually working on or
that I think we really really should try to get done in that release. I
think it needs more than just did not make it into an older release.

> - Some of the JIRAs contain conversations that did not complete. Only the

> people who were involved in the half finished conversation would know what
> to do with these JIRAs.

I'm not sure thats true, just because someone has commented in a JIRA
doesn't mean they know any more than is recorded in the JIRA, if its now
waiting for more information to come back from the reporter then anyone
should be able to pick it up when that info gets added.

>   It would be useful to get these to a proper JIRA state, that is 'close'
> or
> 'open'. What is the best approach for handling these? I can help generate
> list  and share it on the ML if it is helpful given that there are 170
> JIRAs.
>

> - Some JIRAs contain a response, for example 'problem does not exist in
> the
> latest release', and yet they are in an open state. It might be that it is
> expected of the originator to close the JIRA. *Should these be closed?*

Yes that sounds fine.