From: "Simon Laws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 8:51 AM
To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Pass-by-value related SPI change

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:34 PM, ant elder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Raymond Feng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please vote on one of the following five options to define
> allowsPassByReference property for Invokers. You can vote with multiple
> choices ordered by your preference.
>
> [1] Add "boolean allowsPassByReference()" to the Invoker interface
> directly
>
> [2] Add "boolean allowsPassByReference()" to an optional SPI (either a
> separate interface or a sub-interface of Invoker)
>
> [3] Define an "InvokerProperties" interface to encapsulate known
> properties
> including "allowsPassByReference", change the Provider.createInvoker()
> take InvokerProperties. Add "getInvokerProperties()" to the Invoker
> interface.
>
> [4] Define an "InvokerProperties" class to encapsulate known properties
> including "allowsPassByReference", add "getInvokerProperties()" to the
> Invoker interface.
>
> [5] Define an "InvokerProperties" interface to encapsulate known
> properties
> including "allowsPassByReference", define an
"InvocationPropertiesFactory"
> interface to create "InvokerProperties", add "getInvokerProperties()" > to
> the
> Invoker interface.
>
> My vote is [1], [2].
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond

Not breaking existing extensions is the most important to me so I'm less
keen on [1]. The current state of the code is [2] which I originally found
confusing as the method and interface names didn't seem to match -
PassByValueAware/allowsPassByReference - so i might have preferred
something
like  PassByReferenceAware/allowsPassByReference but there has been so
much
discussion around it i guess i know what its all about now. We do seem to
regularly need to add properties like this so i can understand the
motivation for the InvokerProperties solutions and I'd be fine with doing
that if thats what everyone wants.

I know this isn't an explicit vote, but there already isn't consensus on
one
option so i hope it will be clearer and easier to find consensus by
stating
my preferences like this.

  ...ant

[2] now [3] later. I like [3] but would like to see us review our SPI more
holistically rather than just applying this pattern in one place.