Comments inline.

  Simon

ant elder wrote:
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Simon Nash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

IMO the osgi-tuscany itest should not be added to the main build
until we have a viable approach for allowing developers to build a
smaller core subset of the code.  I don't think this core subset
should include the OSGi-based Tuscany runtime.

  Simon

Up till now we've had an unwritten policy that all work done by committers
gets added to the main trunk build. These days osgi is one of the more
active areas of discussion by tuscany users, and this osgi work has been
usefully finding quite a lot of problems with the existing code in trunk. So
this is one of our more worthwhile bits of our code IMHO. Ongoing changes in
trunk are continually breaking the osgi code as its not getting tested in
the main build and so requiring a lot of work just to keep it running. So i
think we should try real hard to find a way to get it included in the build
and to do that sooner than waiting for any trunk restructure that could take
some time to get consensus on.

I agree that we have been operating in this way until now but I think
this approach of a single all-encompassing build for all the code in
trunk has become increasingly unsustainable and unscalable as more and
more code is added.  We, the core developers, can just about cope with
the problems of frequent breakage and space and time overheads, but we
should think about the impression this gives to a new person downloading
and building Tuscany for the first time.  I'll continue this discussion
on the other thread that I started for this topic.

From your last post about the disk space size of the trunk build I've
already done some clean up of our use of activemq which reduced the space
needed by a build by about 250 Meg, is that enough of a reduction to now
include osgi-tuscany in the build? If not i can see quite a few other simple
changes that could be done to the build to reduce size further so how much
of a reduction is needed?

Thanks for doing this.  In recent builds I have noticed a reduction in
space requirements, and this definitely helps.  It still takes quite a
long time to run a full build.

I tried to build itest/osgi-tuscany to see what its time and space
overheads are, but I ran into multiple errors (incorrect pom and some
tests failing).  Is anyone else able to get this to build cleanly?