I'd probably categorize the experiment we are doing now, as a learning
experience to familiarize with the Mobile environment available in
Google Android. For this, we have choosen to try running one of the
simplest samples we had (calculator) in the Android JVM
environment.... In the long run, the idea is to have a more
light-weight "sca mobile core/runtime" available, similar to what we
did for Web 2.0 (implementation-widget) and described by Mike below.

But it's indeed good to discuss these items with the community, would
be also good to have the community contributing requirements/scenarios
for a Tuscany mobile story. And we are all open and welcoming any
help.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Mike Edwards
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Brandon Werner wrote:
>  > Can you explain the benefit of moving SCA/SDO over to the Android platform?
>  > I can understand wanting to have the ability to consume simple XML services
>  > and perhaps consume disconnected datagraphs, but I don't understand why the
>  > world wouldn't want a more light-weight way of doing that than ripping out
>  > something that was meant for the JEE / JSE.
>  >
>  > <snip>
>  Brandon,
>
>  So you think that a device using the Andriod platform is likely to want
>  to use services and a service-oriented approach to building
>  applications.  But you think that SCA is too "heavyweight"?  Is that
>  simply a question of the size of the code involved (I note that the core
>  of Tuscany is quite small) or is the SCA approach too "heavyweight" in
>  some other sense?
>
>  I wonder if you've taken a look a the implementation.widget exemplified
>  in the Tutorial demo code?  This applies SCA principles to AJAX widgets
>  running in the browser - simplifying the connectivity a great deal (in
>  my opinion) and yet adding little overhead.
>
>  In the longer run, we may want to look to do something similar for the
>  Android platforms, perhaps with Java rather than the more limited
>  JavaScript components.  Starting with the current SCA package seems
>  reasonable to me - once we have experience with how that works, we will
>  have a better idea what needs to be changed and tailored for the Android
>  platform.
>

>  Yours,  Mike.

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer