Before running the $mvn command, I tried $mvn --version to guarantee that
the things are correctly configured, and all seems to be right.

I got this output after setting some environment variables like M2_HOME and
JAVA_HOME.

$mvn --version

*Maven version: 2.0.8
Java version: 1.6.0_05
OS name: "linux" version: "2.6.22-14-generic" arch: "amd64" Family: "unix"*