I've just committed a load balancing demo I've had knocking around for a bit
[1]. It balances HTTP based service calls across tomcat servers configured
with an SCA enabled webapp. It's a work in progress and there are a couple
of points I need some help with....

1 - There are currently manual steps involved in getting it running.

I set it up using the fairly well trodden Apache -> mod_jk -> Tomcat route.
I've automated the creation and configuration of the tomcat instances but
obviously doing the same for Apache is more tricky. Thinking I was being
smart this week I replaced Apace with the old "balancer" webapp from tomcat
5 days and wrote a round robin rule. However this all fell apart as the
balancer webapp is based on HTTP redirects and Axis2 doesn't handle them.
Had this worked I had a completely Java demo and I could run the whole thing
automatically.

So any thoughts on either A) how to automate Apache installs B) a tomcat
based load balancer.

2 - I'm planning to upgrade the app to make it one part of a distributed
domain. In particular I want to demonstrate how to configure the nodes in
the cloud to reference the tomcat cluster generally rather than the
individual node as logically a composite is deployed to a cluster rather
than all the nodes in a cluster. A conversation has started [2] about what a
webapp means in a distributed domain so comments on that thread would be
useful to this exercise also.

Regards

Simon

[1]