Hi Andy,

This is an interesting technology sample that demonstrates various
capabilities that Tuscany offers.

It would be good to get user feedback on this as well.

Haleh

On 1/19/07, Andrew Borley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,

One of the things we thought would be good to include in the next
release of Tuscany C++ was "some kind of Web 2.0 sample" that would
show the various functionality of Tuscany C++ (and perhaps Tuscany
Java and SCA/SDO for PHP too) all working together in one app.
I've had a think around this and come up with the following idea that
I'm throwing open for abuse/ideas/development/etc!

Global Alerter
A feed-reader style webapp that aggregates various sources of changing
data into a series of "alerts" that are displayed in, and
automatically updated via AJAX calls from, a web page. Alert sources
include RSS/Atom news feeds, POP3/IMAP email, NNTP newsgroups, SOAP
services (such as stockquotes).

See the attached png for the initial SCA diagram (I've also put it up
at [1] if the mail-list doesn't let png's through) for a bit more
detail. This shows some of the power that SCA and Tuscany provides:
- the 2 composites could run in separate containers or even different
SCA runtimes (say HTTPD/PHP with SCA_SDO for the Display Composite and
HTTPD/Tuscany C++ for the Alerter Composite)
- we could show extensibility by adding extra Checker components for
other data sources (such as a component that checks for changes in a
specific web page)
- we could show re-use of components by using the Web Service Checker
to call a stockquote service and a weather forecast service.
- we can use different languages to implement the components

It would be nice if the web front end could also show what is
happening under the covers - perhaps by displaying the SCA diagram and
highlighting which pieces are being called when the user chooses to
update the alerts from a particular data source.

So, any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!
Andy

[1] http://people.apache.org/~ajborley/web2demo.png