Brandon Werner wrote:
Can you explain the benefit of moving SCA/SDO over to the Android platform?
I can understand wanting to have the ability to consume simple XML services
and perhaps consume disconnected datagraphs, but I don't understand why the
world wouldn't want a more light-weight way of doing that than ripping out
something that was meant for the JEE / JSE.

<snip>
Brandon,

So you think that a device using the Andriod platform is likely to want to use services and a service-oriented approach to building applications. But you think that SCA is too "heavyweight"? Is that simply a question of the size of the code involved (I note that the core of Tuscany is quite small) or is the SCA approach too "heavyweight" in some other sense?

I wonder if you've taken a look a the implementation.widget exemplified in the Tutorial demo code? This applies SCA principles to AJAX widgets running in the browser - simplifying the connectivity a great deal (in my opinion) and yet adding little overhead.

In the longer run, we may want to look to do something similar for the Android platforms, perhaps with Java rather than the more limited JavaScript components. Starting with the current SCA package seems reasonable to me - once we have experience with how that works, we will have a better idea what needs to be changed and tailored for the Android platform.

Yours,  Mike.