You are on the right track. Put your common definitions in a configuration
module like this:

# Config.py
arch_data_dir='/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/arch_data'
data_dir='/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/data'

Then in client code, import Config. When you use the names defined in Config you have to prefix them with the module name like this:

import Config
print Config.data_dir

Alternately you can use either of these forms:

# Get a couple of names from Config into our global namespace
from Config import arch_data_dir, data_dir

or this:

# Get *all* names defined in Config into our global namespace
from Config import *

to make the bare names available in the client.

Kent

Dave S wrote:
Hi there,

I have some common data directories, like

/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/logs
/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/data
/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/datacore
/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/arch_data

which increasing numbers of scripts are accessing. At the begining of each script
I end up putting in declarations like

arch_data_dir='/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/arch_data'
data_dir='/home/dave/mygg/gg1.3/data'

over & over. This is OK until I want to move a directory

Somewhere I read about importing a script to define common globals for all the scripts that import it.

I tried this, and failed - the variable was only valid for the module, to be expected really :)

Can anyone make a suggestion howto set up common global presets.

Cheers
Dave