sorry everyone, I figured it out on my own ;)

Jason Child wrote:

Alan Gauld wrote:

oops, I forgot to add the s = 1 and s=0 lines to the example code i posted...

OK, To save us guessing, why don't you post it with the s=1/0 and also the actual output pattern you get?

Seeing the error is a very powerful technique for guessing what may be at fault. A second hand description is never as precise.

Alan G

I've got a silly question.
#######################
P1 = "prefix1"
P2 = "prefix2"

def my_func(list, items):
   s = 0
   out = ""
   for i in range(len(list)):
       if s == 0:
           p = P1
           s = 1
       else:
           p = P2
           s = 0
       for j in range(len(items)):
           out += p +items[j]
   return out
########################

If my input was:
list = ["car list 1","car list 2"]
items = ["torino","mustang","elantra"]

for output I get:
prefix1torinoprefix1mustangprefix1elantraprefix1torinoprefix1mustangprefix1elantra

when I expect:
prefix1torinoprefix1mustangprefix1elantra*prefix2*torino*prefix2*mustang*prefix2*elantra

-- Jason Christopher Child

Computer Network Service Professionals
VOZ Online