kilovh said unto the world upon 2005-01-03 17:17:
I would like to be able to take an integer, break it down into
individual items in a list, and then put them back together. I know
how to do this last part thanks to Orri Ganel and Guillermo
Fernandex, but what about taking the integer apart?

Sorry if the questions have incredibly obvious answers, I'm new to
this.

~kilovh

Hi,

I'm not sure I've the intent of your question, but do you mean something
like this:

.>>> an_int = 42
.>>> an_int_as_string = str(an_int)
.>>> print an_int_as_string
42
.>>> type(an_int_as_string)
<type 'str'>
.>>> an_int_as_string_list = list(an_int_as_string)
.>>> print an_int_as_string_list
['4', '2']
.>>> rebuilt_int_string = ''.join(an_int_as_string_list)
.>>> print rebuilt_int_string
42
.>>> type(rebuilt_int_string)
<type 'str'>
.>>> rebuilt_int = int(rebuilt_int_string)
.>>> print rebuilt_int
42
.>>> type(rebuilt_int)
<type 'int'>