Thanks for the enthusiasm on how input/raw_input() works - my original intention was to ask a question on control flow so I didn't spend that much time testing out this piece of input code besides typing. But I did learn a lot. Thanks!

Gilbert

Jacob S. wrote:

I noticed that too, Liam.
b = input("Weather is really bad, still go out to jog? [y/n] ") # Would it kill you to have whitespace in a prompt?
should really be
b = raw_input("Weather is really bad, still go out to jog? [y/n] ")
to get the effect he wants.

input() doesn't only take integers, it takes valid python objects. Integers are objects, but so are lists, dictionaries, tuples,
actually it takes everything, BUT!!! it trys to return a valid python object for input.
So it will take a string--don't quote me on this--if you explicitly put the string in quotes.
If you don't put the string in quotes, it instead searches the namespaces for that object.
So say the user typed in bad_weather when the interpreter gave that prompt. Then, b == "y" evaluates true because bad_weather == "y". Did I explain it right? Or am I trying to explain something you already know? I know I get frustrated when people try to explain concepts that I already know...

HTH,
Jacob Schmidt

< erk, to the list, to the List!>

if ( bad_weather =='y' ):
  # ask user only if weather is bad.
  b = input ( "Weather is really bad, still go out to jog?[y/n]" )
  if b == 'y':
     go_jogging()

Anyone else notice that he's never gonna go jogging if the weather is bad?
Unless I've got input() wrong, it only takes integers... ?

Regards,

Liam Clarke

--
'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.