Even more OT it would seem, but harking back to the original subject,
Perl isn't looking too bad because I've been working through Java
tonight.

$j = <STDIN>; is relatively intuitive for a child of Unix, and it's
also documented.

BufferedReader keyboard = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
String j = keyboard.readline();

is not intuitive, and is hidden very well in the bowels of Sun's API's.

Scary, when a language makes me think Perl would be nicer. : ) Heh.

Oh, and whoever recommended Eclipse to me? Thank you very much.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:59:30 -0000, Alan Gauld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Surely you jest, Alan. :-)
>
> Smiley noted but...
>
> > Both perl and awk are turing complete, hence anything perl can do,
> awk
> > can do as well.
>
> This is a popular misconception.
>
> Being Turing complete simply means you can implement any algorithm.
> But if the language doesn't provide I/O access for example it is
> impossible to write a device driver, or a comms stack, or any of
> a host of other low level programs. awk is non extendable (unless
> you have the source code!) so you can't do those things. Perl is
> not only extendable but actually comes wth a heap of those kinds
> of features that awk just doesn't have. And no amount of clever
> algorithms can compensate. Awk was designed for one task which it
> does spectacularly well but it was never intended for general
> purpose use.
>
> I/O is just one example, there are meny more...
>
> Alan G.

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.