- closing down IDLE and pressing ctrl alt and del
I notice that 3 copies of pythonw are in memory

I closed these down and IDLE is working again

Hi,

for what it's worth, I've never had issues with Firefox and IDLE when running Zone Alarm. (Currently running ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.004)

But the multiple copies of pythonw seems key, and also the sort of thing that better Python minds than most seem to accept they have to live with too: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2005-January/004365.html>

=======

Thanks Brian and Danny

Yep - I found closing down the extra versions was a solution
I also ran spybot and found a browser hijacker (just returned from a month in
Linux without such hindrances) and it may be somehow related to that - the
problem SEEMS to have gone . . .

=======

I've been pretty happy using IDLE supplemented by SciTe when wanting a better editor than that provided by IDLE.

   Best,

   Brian vdB

======

Will have a look at SciTe