On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, [iso-8859-1] Jan Ekström wrote:

> I have tried to install Python 2.4 on two pc-s and get this error when I
> follow the instruction and type python at the comand window or Idle
> window. I am running Windows xp home edition. What am I doing wrong?
>>
> Here is the error.
> IDLE 1.1
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in -toplevel-python
> NameError: name 'python' is not defined

Hi Jan,

If you see that message, you're actually ok, because you're already in
Python!  *grin*

When you see the '>>> ' prompt, you're in Python's system.  You're doing
fine.

By the way, you may find this tutorial helpful:

    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/index.html

It's a little outdated; one of these days, I will update the screenshots
and fix some of the menu commands.  (For example, "Run Script" moved over
into the "Run" menu, and is renamed to "Run Module".)

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask!