Yeah. And they're thinking of removing raw_input() too. I think it's good to have a __builtin__ user input function. Why should we have to import sys everytime we want user input? Almost every program that newbies write uses it, and advanced programmers also if they're using console programs. IMHO, I see no reason to remove it.
## end rant

Jacob

Michael Dunn wrote:
Something I've always wondered: if input() is so dangerous, why is it
there? What valid uses does it have in the wild?

It's a mistake planned to be removed in Python 3.0, the "hypothetical future release of Python that can break backwards compatibility with the existing body of Python code."

Python tries very hard to maintain backward compatibility so things like input() are not removed.

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-3000.html#built-ins

Kent