> Yikes, that sounds pretty hairy. Maybe this kind of thing is not as
> straight forward as anticipated. Why HTML you say? Well I've been
> intrigued by Dashboard, which will be in the next OSX release. It allows
> you to create "widgets" which are essentially little html pages that do
> things. This got me thinking how I'd like to tie a small Python script I
> wrote into an html front end (ideally becoming a widget). It's looking
> like this may be trickier than anticipated. In any case, thanks.

Hi Mike,

Interesting!

You probably know about this already, but PyObjC allows you to write Mac
OS X Cocoa applications in Python:

    http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/

and this is a well tested bridge to make Python classes integrate into
Cocoa applications.  For example,

    http://www.pycs.net/bbum/2004/12/10/#200412101

mentions the use of PyObjC to make a Mac OS X screensaver.  So it appears
to embed very well.

According to the documentation from Apple's Dashboard developer site, we
can embed Cocoa bundles into Javascript (there's a brief mention of it
under "Custom Code Plug-ins":

    http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/dashboard.html

So in theory, we should be able to inject a Pythonified Cocoa bundle into
Dashboard, but then again, I've never tried this before.  *grin*

I haven't dived into doing Mac OS X development yet, but perhaps someone
on the PyObjC list might be able to cook up a quick-and-dirty example of
this for you.

Try asking on their list and see if you get some useful responses:

Best of wishes to you!