---------- Original Message -------------
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Numbers & Characters As Dictionary Keys
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:47:41 +0100
From: "Alan G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Don Parris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Python Tutor List" <tutor@python.org>

> >    print "%s\t%s" % (m,menu[m][0])
> >
> I am curious what the "%" by itself is doing.

Its a standard string formatting operation in Python.
The % operator basically says substitute the values
in the folowing tuple for the marked fields in the
foregoing string.

The print statement above therefore is roughly equivalent
to:

print m + '\t' + menu[m][0]

But the formatting markers allow you to add formatting
data like the minimum number of characters, right/left
justification, number of digits after a decimal point,
hex or decimal display of numbers etc etc.

Take a look in the Python docs for string formatting.

I was able to understand the '\t' and the '%s'.  It was that lone % sign that
made it look weird to me.  I will be digging into the string formatting stuff,
for sure.  I'm hoping to produce an output format that will be acceptable for
certain organizations.  When I cannot focus on the MySQL portion of this app,
I'll be focusing on the other aspects.  I seem to be able to build simple
functions.  It's when I want to reduce the amount of code I have to write that
I start running into issues. :)

Don