> I had a co-worker say to me at work that Python was related
> to or based upon BASIC. Is this true, and if not, how can I
> tell my friend why they are similar?

Both Python and BASIC are interpreted languages intended to
be used (amongst other things) to learn how to program.

There the similarity ends. Python is very different to BASIC.
Its different in the way it is interpreted, in the structure
of the programs, the way functions operate, the type system,
in fact just about every conceivable way.

There are more similarities between Visual Basic - which is
very different to the original BASIC - and Python, but they
are still significantly different languages. Thats why I use
VBScript (a lightweight VB) as a comparison with Python in
my tutor - to illustrate how a *different* language does the
same thing. Take a look at some of the topics in my tutor
to see the differences.

If Python is based on any other language its probably Lisp!

Alan G