I'd like a little advice on whether I'm being really stupid here.

Having researched editors and stuff, I've not quite found what I'm
looking for, though Vim comes close (except that it's extremely
difficult to work out what to do with it).

My instinct was to try and write a small program similar to vim, but
in Python.  The very basics should be quite easy.  If I start a system
that is very easily expandable then as and when I need further
functionality I can add it in.

html colourisation and auto-completion should be easy enough to add
using a html parser, but what about python?  Is there a python module
that can parse python code and is reasonably easy to use?  Also, css?

I know it would be ambitious to try and do this, but is it stupidly ambitious?

Ed