> 3. scite (very simple)
>
>All are great and I use all of the three.

Just back from vacation or I would have had
a lot more to say! :-)

But I have to agree with scite as an option,
its very lightweight and fast and is basically
the editor portion opf Pythonwin(*). That means
you get all the editor features, but for many
languages.

But you lose the IDE Features - debugger integration,
some code completion, keyword suggestion etc.

Emacs can of course do all of the requested things
but you may have to invest a lot of configuration
time getting it just so.

THe other feature you may want to look for is
tags support (vim and emacs at least), ie the
ability to put the cursor on a fuinction name
and go to its definition with a single leap.
This is very good for exploring other peoples code!

(*)Scite was originally just a demostrator for
the Scintilla editor component for GUIs but it
has taken on a life of its own!

HTH,

--
Alan G