Eric Walker wrote:
> Kent,
> Where I think my problem maybe in how I am running this. I want to eventually
> run from the command line. I started python idle from my linux command line
> and I was cut and pasting from my text file and seeing things work. Now i
> want to run it from the command line and its complaining. in my file I have
> something of the following.

This is full of syntax errors...

> class yes:
>  def func1
should be
  def func1(self):

>   temp = re.match #####
OK but not used for anything

>   return str(tempREG != 'None'
Missing close paren and tempREG is not defined so you will get a NameError at
runtime

>         def display(self):
This should have the same indentation as def func1; indentation is significant!

>   print all the class attributes....
>  def __init__(self,value):
>   name = func1(value)
probably you want self.func1(value) - to call a member function from inside
another member function you have to prefix the name with self.

>   other stuff
>
> def func2():
>  a = yes()
>
> try:
>  func2()
> except:
>  print "error"
Generic except: blocks like this are a bad idea, it hides useful information
without providing any benefit. The traceback that Python prints on an uncaught
exception may look like a lot of gibberish at first but it contains a wealth of
useful information that is thrown away by this handler.

HTH,
Kent