Since when is elegance a dirty word?

Elegance is the soul of good programming.   A simple and graceful
solution to the widest number of cases, efficient and easy to
understand in application.  Sometimes subtle, but always beautiful.

In language design, software architecture, algorithms, it is the
rushing light of clarity that banishes dark and smelly corners.  It's
side effects are many--reusable code, effortless speed, painless
maintenance, reduced complexity.

The dreams shared by physicists, mathematicians, and engineers, are
dreams of elegance.

It is heartbreaking to see a concise and useful term maligned by dense
one-liners, which are seldom anything except hard to read.  Simple and
short ain't the same thing.

And having indulged in possibly very off-topic interlude, let me point
out that recognizing a donut when you see it, doesn't make you a
baker.  Trust me,  I'm not baking donuts.

And judging by the amount of Escher-like pretzels that continute to be
baked in the world,  we have a long ways to go before we get more than
the occasional sighting or passing whiff of something sweet and round
with a hole in the middle. .

Take care,

Andrew