Hi,

If you run python on windows, you may also take the control of office
(word,excel) and may others tools,

for example image you have a mysheet.xls in C

import pythoncom, win32com.client,os

pythoncom.CoInitializeEx(pythoncom.COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED)
excelapp = win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch("Excel.Application")
excelapp.Workbooks.Open(Filename="C:\\mysheet.xls ")
excelapp.Range('A1').Select()
value = excelapp.ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1

#closing, strong way or the process may stay in the back ground
excelapp.ActiveWorkbook.Close(False)
excelapp.Quit()
del excelapp

value contains now what there is in A1, to see the syntax just record a
macro on excel and than edit it.

Except for the initialization of the Dispatcher the instruction are the
same, so you can almost copy and paste.

Carlo

this work fine in python2.3 too :-)

what is ITER? www.iter.org