Hello everyone,

I need to do something very simple but I'm having trouble finding the way to do it - at least easily.  I have created a tuple and now need to find the position of individual members of that tuple.  Specifically, the tuple is something like: words = ("you", "me", "us", "we", "and", "so", "forth") and I need to be able to name a member, for example, "us" and find what the position (index) of that word is in the tuple.

I would have thought there would be a simple built in function for that but I just went through the built in functions in the Python Library Reference and I didn't find anything.  I could probably figure out how to write a while loop or something to do a sequential search until I found the right member but I really believe there must be an easier way and I'm just not seeing it.  You can probably tell I'm just learning Python so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,
Steve