Dear group,
  I have a problem in finding a method to solve a
problem where I want to walk through a lineage of
terms and find group them from right to left.

A snippet of the problem is here. The terms in file as
tab delim manner.

a       b       c       d       car
a       b       c       f       truck
a       b       c       d       van
a       b       c       d       SUV
a       b       c       f       18-wheeler
a       b       j       k       boat
a       b       j       a       submarine
a       b       d       a       B-747
a       b       j       c       cargo-ship
a       b       j       p       passenger-cruise ship
a       b       a       a       bicycle
a       b       a       b       motorcycle

Now my question is to enrich members that have
identical lineage with different leaf.
'i.e': a b c d - van suv . I have two terms in this
path and I am not happy with two. I wish to have more.

Then: a b c - car, van, truck, SUV and 18-wheeler
(automobiles that travel on road). I am happy with
this grouping and I enriched more items if I walk on
lienage : (a-b-c)

Thus, I want to try to enrich for all 21 K lines of
lineages.

My question:

Is there a way to automate this problem.

My idea of doing this:

Since this is a tab delim file. I want to read a line
with say 5 columns (5 tabs).  Search for items with
same column item 4 (because leaf items could be
unique). If I find a hit, then check if columns 3 and
2 are identical if so create a list.

Although this problem is more recursive and time and
resource consuming, I cannot think of an easy
solution.

Would you please suggest a nice and simple method to
solve this problem.

For people who are into bioinformatics (I know Danny
Yoo is a bioinformatician) the question is about GO
terms.  I parsed OBO file and laid out the term
lineages that constitute the OBO-DAG structure. I want
to enrich the terms to do an enrichment analysis for a
set of terms that I am interested in.

Thank you in advance.

cheers
Srini