> On my computer (Win2K) Python puts the current working directory in
> sys.path. (I'm not sure this happens on Linux.)

yes it does, on any unix-flavored system (Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS X,
Solaris, etc.).

since we're on the topic, there is another attribute in the sys
module, sys.modules that shows you all the imported (and loaded)
modules and where they live in the filesystem.  it's a good way to
figure out path problems too.

hope this helps!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com