My apologies to everyone.  Here is the complete code:

class PriorityQueue:
        def __init__(self):
                self.items = []

        def isEmpty(self):
                return self.items == []

        def insert(self, item):
                self.items.append(item)

        def remove(self):
                maxi = 0
                for i in range(1, len(self.items)):
                        if self.items[i] > self.items[maxi]:
                                maxi = i
                item = self.items[maxi]
                self.items[maxi:maxi+1] = []
                return item

--- Luke Paireepinart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Christopher Spears wrote:
> > Here is a class called PriorityQueue:
> >
> > class PriorityQueue:
> >     def __init__(self):
> >             self.items = []
> >
> >     def isEmpty(self):
> >             return self.items == []
> >
> >     def insert(self, item):
> >             self.items.append(item)
> >
> >     def remove(self):
> >             maxi = 0
> >             for i in range(1, len(self.items)):
> >                     if self.items[i] > self.items[maxi]:
> >                             maxi = i
> >             item = self.items[maxi]
> >
> >             return item
> >
> > My question concerns the remove function.  The
> > function returns the maximum value.  However, I'm
> > curious about
> > self.items[maxi:maxi+1] = [].  I understand that
> the
> > programmer wants to remove self.items[maxi].  Why
> > would he or she want to remove that value and the
> one
> > next to it (maxi+1)?  Or am I misunderstanding
> > self.items[maxi:maxi+1] = [] ?
> >
> I don't see the line 'self.items[maxi:maxi+1] = []'
> anywhere in the
> above code.
> In fact, I don't see any list slicing taking place
> at all.
>
> > As an aside, I can't figure out how to respond to
> > topics on this list.
> >

> either hit 'reply-all' in your message or change the
> 'to:'
> line from whatever the recipient's address is to
> 'tutor@python.org'
> (you can also cc. to 'tutor@python.org' but this is
> what will
> happen when you 'reply-all' anyway.)

"I'm the last person to pretend that I'm a radio.  I'd rather go out and be a
color television set."
-David Bowie

"Who dares wins"
-British military motto