What kind of low-level socket and threading code is necessary for a db
intensive site such as yahoo. How do we use it from python? does
anyone  have experience using it

http://redditblog.blogspot.com/2005/12/on-lisp.html
>From moving to python by the founders of reddit

Because of the low-level socket and threading code we had to write,
reddit would not run on my Mac, and I was always tethered to our
FreeBSD development server. Not being able to program offline is a
pain.

I would imagine that they aren't just using a database.
most of the "low level socket stuff" I've seen is about setting
timeouts and doing Async IO.

Do you Yahoo!?