"Chris Hengge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> Simple command to clear console? (C++ was something like
> system.clr())
> Some sort of cursor positioning? (C++ was something like gotoxy)

While looking for something else I stumbled across this module in
the Vaults of Parnassus: WConio

http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/wconio.html

Its a port of the old Borland turboC conio library to Python and there
is a
version for Python versions up to 2.4. Only works for DOS windows
so far as I can tell, but thats what we wanted...

It includes amongst many others the functions:

WConio.clrscr() clears the screen and homes the cursor.
WConio.cputs(string) prints a string starting at the current cursor
position.

WConio.getch() retrieves a keystroke from the console

WConio.gettext(left, top, right, bottom) copies characters and
attributes from the screen coordinates given and returns them in a
string buffer. Usually used with puttext() below.

WConio.gotoxy(x, y) positions the cursor at the given coordinates.

etc...

HTH
--
Alan Gauld