Christopher Spears wrote:
> Hmmm...Perl is probably a bad example.  My apologies.
> I was thinking more along the lines of this:
>
> A C++ for loop:
>
> #include <iostream>
>
> using std::cout;
>
> int main() {
>
>       for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
>               cout << i << "\n";
>       }
>
>       return 0;
> }

The same functionality can be provided using python for and the range()
function, like:

for i in range(0, 10):
        print i

Though because of the way python works you don't need to use this type
of loop anywhere near as often as in other languages. For example in
java (and c++, but my c++ is so rusty I'm not going embarrass myself
trying to write an example) you're constantly doing things like looping
over an array:

public void main(String[] args) {
        int[] foo;

        /* then later after foo has been initialized to whatever: */

        for (int i=0; i<foo.length; i++) {
                System.out.println(foo[i]);
        }
}

The equivalent code in python is much cleaner, after foo has been
initialized to whatever:

        for each in foo:
                print each

Hope this helps,